***Check out the original post 5 Simple Ways to Become a Minimalist***
Since the great interest in the first edition of 5 Simple Ways to Become a Minimalist TODAY, I have been thinking about some other great tips for becoming more of a minimalist ASAP.
Some of the following tips may not be as easy to implement, but are great ways to, like stated in the first post, get the proverbial ball rolling.
Without further adieu…..
5 More Simple Ways to Become a Minimalist TODAY:
- Rid 5 Unused Things aka Stuff : With family in tow, walk through your home with the goal of ridding 5 items. I suggest making them somewhat significant items. Pencils, pens, balled up paper and items already in the trash don’t count. Try extra furniture no one ever sits on or decorative stuff on tables. Do it as a family so everyone has the same mentality developed.
- Pick One Big Ticket Item to Sell : Have an extra lawnmower just sitting in the garage? Sell it! Have an extra La-Z-Boy that just sits around with little use? Sell it! Have a troublesome child that won’t behave? Okay, don’t sell them. Just make them minimalize their room. That will teach them. Getting back to the big ticket item. A big ticket item sold on Craigslist or eBay will not only help minimalize your stuff, but it may free up some money for the whole family to go out for an evening of movies and popcorn or do whatever excites you.
- Eliminate Your Spouse’s Stuff : Decide with your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, significant other that you each need to reduce your stuff by one. Make the rule that you get to pick 3 things of theirs and they get to pick 3 things of yours. Then the person whose stuff it is MUST get rid of one of their own 3 the other has picked out. What this does is force each other to analyze what is really important to them? It sounds really tough, but once completed, you both probably won’t miss each item.
- STUFF-less Zone : Pick an area of the house where there won’t be any STUFF. One good place to start may be the kitchen table. Tell everyone in the household that nothing is allowed on the kitchen table AT ALL unless it is meal time. Don’t waver! Same goes for wherever you pick your STUFF-less Zone. By starting to make one of your frequented places in your home more like a minimalist, the minimalism fever will spread to other zones of your home.
- Don’t Buy STUFF for a Day : Mind you any necessities (food, water, toilet paper), do not buy one THING. By THING, I mean toy, gadget, clothing, car, book, jacket, lamp, couch, spatula, so on and so forth. Don’t buy 1 THING for a day. Then extend this to a week. It will be tougher than you think. But getting through that week will open your eyes to wasteful spending and STUFF consumption.
Hopefully, these 5 tips have helped you become more of a minimalist TODAY.
Have a great day…